CITY OF ALBANY DOWNTOWN PLAN & CORNING PRESERVE MASTER PLAN
The City of Albany and the Capitalize Albany Corporation initiated this market-driven process, with two parallel planning initatives
- a revitalization plan for the downtown district
- a master plan for its adjacent waterfront park.
The plans will establish the park as a downtown amenity, with strategies for overcoming a surface-level highway, which has historically hindered waterfront connections. The process has utilized a series of unique public engagement strategies, which have built early support for the process.
Major themes central to this planning process include:
- Celebrating downtown’s quality of life by highlighting its existing amenities
- Connecting downtown by reinforcing its walkable street network and establishing new connections across I-787 to the Corning Preserve waterfront park
- Empowering stakeholders to invest in downtown by facilitating initiatives built on public-private partnerships and produce shared benefits for all involved
Completed At: Goody Clancy Associates
Project Role: Visualization Studies, Diagramming and capacity studies
Awards: Downtown Achievement Award, 2016